Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tasting The Printed Buffet!

Well, I threw out the question to T4G brothers "Which book shall be read first and why?"

I have taken a taste of "Why I am not Emergent", "Piper's book responding to N.T. Wright on Justification, and Mortification of Sin". They are all "very satisfying and challenging to the pallet.



Piper's book will be read slowly, perhaps a portion here and there, for it is meat and must be chewed slowly. One quick note that Piper made was the use of N.T. Wrights definition of justification. You cannot use his definition in other texts. It does not work, and belittles God. Wright defines justification and God's righteousness as the declaration of God's covanent faithfulness. Piper is quick and right to point out that this doesn't work exegetically. "that we might become the righteousness of God" would then read according to Wrights definition "that we might become the covanent faithfulness of God. This does damage to the first part of the verse "He made Him Who knew no sin to become sin for us, so that in Him we might become the (righteousness) of God." "Covanent Faitfulness doesn't make sense or fit here at all.
Anyway, I'll let Piper finish his book.

The "Why I am not Emergent" book was quickly reviewed by me and passed on to a special friend who is learning much of his instruction from "emergent" disciplers in our denomination.

Last night I cracked open Owen's book "Mortification of sin", and of course, it was an icebucket of water on my head. "Always be killing sin, or it will be killing you". This book is an exposition on the text in Romans 8:13 "If by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live." O read this book my brothers. Until later then...

No comments: