Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Read a challenging book!

I just finished reading a book that was a challenge for me. I must read slowly, and digest a little at a time many of the books that I read. At first I pick up the book, thumb through it, and realize that it is "Greek to me", and it looks more like physics instead of math.

Well, working through the book slowly I begin to learn, and then I am greatly encouraged that I actually understand partially what the author is saying. I press on reading, and the lights go on brighter and brighter! I begin to understand phrases that were way over my head! What a great blessing for us that our Creator has given us the ability to learn new things, to increase in our knowledge and understanding. (Of course, I am also aware that "knowledge puffs up, but love builds up" and that "the man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know." But the adventure of learning is a really great kindness and grace that has been bestowed upon us.

Yet, let us learn the following:

Learning must be accompanied by humility. Humility is the fruit that is far more easiily cultivated when you read books that are beyond your present scope of understanding. Reading books that are beyond us is good fertilizer for the plant that grows humility!

Read something that is truly worthwhile, something that will increase not only your learning, but your love, your character, your skills, your person, your storehouse of truth! Truth matters in this life, regardless of what others are saying about it. Bus schedules must be true, or they are not worth anything. A man's word must be true or his word is not worth anything. Your savings book must hold the truth of what you have in there or it is not worth anything!
Truth matters. Read books that will increase your knowledge and love of the truth.

(Read the Bible. Jesus said "Thy Word is Truth" as he prayed to the Father. Yes, read the Bible. The Bible teaches us the truth about God, life, death, purpose, heaven, hell, parenting, justice, forgiveness, etc...)

There was a time when I actually thought I knew a good bit of theology. Well, only because I live in a culture where the religious leaders are mostly elementary theologians.

But as I read scholars, godly scholars, I am humbled. One of my favorite speakers, C.J. Mahaney once said at a conference in which he was one of the last speakers, following great and well known speakers
"Well, you've heard Concords take off, and B1 bombers shake the place, all out here with a roar, and now I come out with a little puff, puff, buzzing, like a Cessna two seater."

That's how it is when we read books that humble us, or that should humble us. We learn that we are only Cessnas, but we can learn from and grow into, well, maybe a four-seater!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Tom,
I just got your comment that you left on my blog. Thanks. That was encouraging. God has guided and taken care of my family through so much. I wouldn't dream of doing anything other than giving HIM all honor & praise! Thanks again for the encouraging & kind words.
Blessings to you & your family,
Rachel Hamm