Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Forgiven Man is the Blessed Man!

God makes His word clear for His children, those who look to God for hope. Why? Because God wants His children to be blessed by what they read and understand, to know the goodness of God. More importantly that they might know God!

We've all heard the unbeliever say "The Bible is hard to understand". Yet there is enough truth in the Bible that is so very clear and simple that my grandchildren understand, at least, they understand the truth that the Bible states. I am rejoicing in this truth in Scripture this morning, as I did last night with my grandson. What is it? The Lord chooses to forgive the sin of some men, cover the sin of some men, not count sin against some men.

Who are these "some" men, women, and children that are blessed by God?

THOSE THAT KNOW WHAT IT IS TO BE UNDER THE "HEAVY HAND" OF GOD'S CONVICTION
The psalm says that it is those who have been under God's heavy
hand (vs4). "For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me." It is those who have tasted the misery of their own sin, sick over it's presence and rule and drain in their lives. "for when I kept silent my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long..."(vs.3) and "my strength dried up as in the heat of summer."(4b)

Yet this is not enough. For this does not leave us blessed, but miserable!

What shall I do? I cannot bear to hide my iniquity any longer. I am in agony. I am miserable.
I am desperate. I cannot sleep, I cannot carry on my daily routine, everything seems unimportant now. What shall I do?
Then the psalmist tells us what he did in his misery.
"I acknowledged my sin to You. I did not cover my iniquity."

THOSE THAT ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR SIN AND MISERY TO THE LORD.
They do not hide it, deny it, defend it, or keep it to themselves any longer. They come clean with God concerning their sin. "I said 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.'

THOSE THAT DO NOT DOUBT THE FORGIVENESS OF GOD CONCERNING THEIR SIN.
The psalmist states simply, clearly, and confidently "and you forgave the iniquity of my sin."

PSALM 32:1-2 Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sin is covered.
Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit!

No comments: