Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Do Not Worry About Tomorrow You are greatly loved, and watched over, kept in the sure grip of your Father's hand.

I would like to be known as a warrior.  You know, one who stands up for what is right, one who is willing to fight for a heavenly cause.  However, it is hard to be a warrior when I am too busy being a worrier.
  I joke around with my wife, and tell her that the reason I am up at night worrying is because the day is too short, and besides, everybody else is sleeping, so somebody has to stay awake, and do the dirty work!  And if I want to be biblical, then I use the verse that says "Stay awake, for you do not know the day or the hour that your Lord is returning." (Matthew 25:13)

The truth is, however, that when we worry, it is because we know that we are not in control of anything.  And if we can't change things, or prevent bad things from happening, or reorder things to turn out the way we want them to, then we worry.  Trust me on this, worrying is not a fun career.

I could write a few key verses here that you must place your faith in, and stop worrying.
But I have realized that this sin of worrying is no small adversary, nor is any other sin for that matter.

The root of all sin, including worry, is not trusting God.
  That hurts, doesn't it?  Well, truth can be painful.
 I am a pastor.  I have preached to, taught, and counseled many folks, in order to help them in their struggles, to offer them hope for the future. For without hope, people end up in despair, depression, and sometimes self destruction.

I want to repeat this again.  The root of all sin, including worry, is not trusting God.
The reason we aren't trusting God is because we do not know him as well as we might like to think.
(Please don't start defending yourself here.  You are God's son, God's daughter, if you have turned to Christ as your Savior, if you have trusted in His death on the cross.  You are greatly loved, watched over, and kept secure in the palm of your Fathers sure grip.). I have also had people tell me that they don't worry.  But then I find that they get angry.  It is a different face of worry, but the root cause is the same---not trusting God.

"Okay already!  What difference does all this make?  Tell me what to do to stop worrying!

The remedy is this:
The cure will not be a one day cure.  It will be a lifetime prescription to take.  It will not be a bible verse alone, but don't put your bible away!

THESE ARE SOME SIMPLE THINGS I MUST ALWAYS REMIND MYSELF, AND PUT INTO PRACTICE,

1.  Confess that you do not know God perfectly.  There is much to learn, even an eternity 's worth.
2.  Tell God that you really do want to know Him better.
3.  Submit yourself to learning about God as He has decided to reveal Himself, in the Bible.
4.  Write down every day what you have learned about God.  Embrace it all!
5.   Be honest with God when you talk to Him, but then listen to what He has spoken in His word,
NOT TO THE CONTRARY VOICES IN YOUR HEAD THAT TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR!
Finally, at least for now...
6.  When you begin worrying, ask God to see Him as He has revealed Himself IN HIS WORD TO YOU,
AN AWESOME AND BIG GOD WHO HAS PROMISED TO TAKE CARE OF YOU.










No comments: